Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Action Research Topic

After a lengthy discussion with my site supervisor, we finally narrowed down a topic that we both feel is very essential and necessary to our school district. Even though we are a small school, in a small town, we still are not too small for something as tragic as what took place in Sandy Hook to happen. Therefore my research will address the following (hopefully):


What are some safety management plans we could implement in our school, and in what ways are they effective for increasing student safety, increasing teacher/staff safety, and decreasing the ability of an intruder to cause harm to students, teachers and staff?

I feel this is a needed topic for our district but am still struggling with the scope and the data needed to address this concern. If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to pass them along.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous research plan. Every school needs to look into this. Unfortunately, no one is safe. We started to have more lock down drills. At first the students were scared, but after explanation they felt much better. We have even had an AED drill where the students and teacher came into my computer lab and found me laying on the floor with a not that said this is a drill. She is unconscious and unresponsive. The teacher stayed with me and the students practiced getting the emergency card and taking it to the nurse to get help. Scary stuff, but good for them to know. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that safety is a great topic and I know that there will be tones of info on that very subject. All of us know how important it is to have a secure and safe learning environment for Students, teachers, and staff. I will be following your research to see what your findings are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!!! I was not working in a school district at the time of the Sandy Hook shooting because I had just been hired at the service center, but I couldn't get through that day without seeing the faces of everyone one of my former students. I can remember thinking to myself, "What would have happened if that had been my school?" Honestly, I couldn't answer that. I didn't know our rules or procedures for handling a situation like that. Also, I thought about the fact that every door on our campus was pretty much fair game, and that scared me. I look forward to learning about what steps you guys take to better protecting your students!

    ReplyDelete